Bourscheid Castle is not only the largest in the country but also one of the largest between the Rhine and the Meuse. It was enlarged in four stages, the last of which ended in 1430 with the construction of the large enclosure and its many towers.
The lords of Bourscheid, who lived in the castle at the time, belonged to the most respected chivalric families in the region. Loyal vassals of the Duke of Luxembourg, they also were his counselors and fought at his side during armed conflicts. The House of Bourscheid was replaced by that of Metternich in 1626, before the French Revolution put an end to feudal power.
Abandoned in the 19th century, the imposing castle finally fell into ruins.